Friday, May 17, 2013

Black Bean Pancakes

I am a huge breakfast person.  I don't feel right without starting my day with a big plate that will keep me satisfied until lunch.  In my quest for new breakfast recipes, I came across this recipe and in true Lauren fashion, edited it a little bit to suit my needs. 

Black Bean Pancake with Fried Egg, Sour Cream and Avocado


Ingredients:
For the black bean cakes:
1/4 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
1 15oz can black beans drainer and rinsed
2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 egg
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2cup cilantro, chopped
1/2cup white onion
salt and pepper to taste
as much hot sauce as you want
peanut oil as needed to pan fry

To serve:
1 egg per cake
2 tbs sour cream
.5oz avacado

I decided to put the beans, garlic, egg, cilantro, onion, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a food processor until beans were slightly broken up...only a few pulses
Removed from food processor and place in a bowl.  Mix with bread crumbs and roll batter in hands to make 6 "cakes" (you could also make mini cakes if you wanted).  Dust both sides of cakes with cornmeal, and pan fry until crispy on outside.  I also baked the cakes at 350 for a few minutes to stay warm as I fried the remainders up.

When ready to serve, serve with egg (cooked the way you like it), sour cream, and avocado.

Very filling and yummy way to start the day...coming in at only 273 calories as served. 

No comments:

Post a Comment