Friday, May 17, 2013

Potatoes Au Gratin with a Twist

I know it's been a while since I've updated this, there has been a lot going on in my life that I've been trying to figure out and work through.  Last night I decided that I need to start doing what I enjoy again and stop dwelling so here I go!
I have been cooking a lot with one major change! I went vegetarian a month ago and haven't looked back.  After biting into something that had a bone piece in it and shouldn't have, I became disgusted and haven't had any desire to eat meat since.  I don't know if this is something that will last, or a phase I'll go through before I feel like eating meat again...but I haven't had the desire and I haven't forced myself (what's the point of that?).

But anyways...enough about that and onto the food.  Last night I got home, and needed to do something with some leftovers.  The result was this invention...Potatoes au Gratin with a twist.


The picture leaves something to desired, but let me assure you, the taste was great!




Ingredients: (based on one serving main dish dinner portion)
1 russet potato sliced thin
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup pinto beans (already cooked)
4 tbs sour cream
1 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
Spices (I used an adobo mix, salt and pepper)
1 oz avocado

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Boil the potato in water until cooked through
Place cooked potatoes, red pepper, pinto beans and onion in a frying pan (with or without olive oil) , sprinkle with salt and pepper and heat through.
In separate bowl, mix together sour cream, cheddar, milk and spices.
Combine potato mixture and liquid mixture in an oven safe dish and bake at 400 for 10 minutes.  Then broil the top for approx 3 minutes (watch it, each oven is different) to desired brown.
Top with avocado and serve

I added bread crumbs to mine and determined they were useless so I wouldn't even bother.  I could see making this with black beans and mixing salsa into the liquid mixture...I think there is a lot of ways to play with this recipe.  

Calorie Content: 643 for the entire thing...and half honestly was probably enough for a meal but I was starving!



No comments:

Post a Comment