Sunday, July 15, 2012

Irish Cuisine in Providence

Last night we had a double date withs ome friends.  This week is restaurant week so we decided to try a new restaurant we'd never been to Whiskey Republic. This place is known for the Irish cuisine and wide array of whiskey.  It is owned by members of the Dropkick Murphys and there are bands featured frequently throughout the week on the indoor stage.
The setting was very nice, we sat outside and had a view of a bridge and water.  

Friend Amy and I decided to take advantage of the restaurant week special:
2 appetizers
2 entrees
1 dessert
$29.95

Started off with tomato basil-soup.  The texture was great and the taste was good but there was a little too much spice in it, I think someone simply overdid the red papper flakes.

Went with the bangers and mash for dinner...one of my favorite dishes.  The restaurants take on it was okay.  Due to utilizing the restaurant week menu, the dish was smaller than normal...it shocked me at first (other restaurants I'd been to had not done this) but it ended up being the perfect portion.  The sausage was fairly average and inconsistant different bites of it were missing or had gained different spices and textures.  The gravy had great flavor but a little too much salt for me, I barely use salt in my cooking so I tend to sense too much salt often when we go out to eat.  The mashed potatoes were excellent, as well as the fried onion.  I thought it was very creative for the restaurant to include horseradish cream; it truly tied the dish together and was a great addition to the plate.

We ordered a Whiskey brownie for desert, it came surrounded in 2 layers of whipped cream and topped with bacon and carmel.  The brownie had great flavor, it wasn't too sweet and went well with the crispy bacon and carmel.  We attacked it so I didn't manage to get a picture.

Overall, our experience was neutral.  The bill came and we spent 110$ for 4 people, we all felt it was slightly expensive for what we got and the food was nothing to write home about.  We may go again, but nothing has topped our favorite spot the Union Station Brewery, as of yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment