Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Quinoa with a Sausage and Squash Cream Sauce

Again, mission of the week...must use cream cheese!  Having only cooked with quinoa once in my life, I know it was only last week but still...I was inspired to do something with it again.  I decided to use up the squash in my fridge and the extra spinach I had from lunch in a sauce with the cream cheese.  Who doesn't love a creamy sauce?
Sauce was very simple but tasted better than I had expected

Ingredients:
1/4 cup quinoa
1 link sausage (I used a garlic chicken sausage...next time I would use uncased sausage from the butcher for a richer taste)
1c beef stock
2tbs cream cheese
sprinkle of seasoned salt (optional)
50 grams spinach
1c raw squash cut into slivers (don't you love my technical terms?)

Cook quinoa according to directions on package.
For sauce: Slice sausage and brown on both sides in frying pan.  Add spinach and squash. Blend stock and cream cheese in separate bowl, add sprinkle of seasoned salt. Once spinach begins to wilt, add stock mixture, heat on medium until sauce has reduced.  Done!

Calorie Content: 430 calories





No comments:

Post a Comment