Monday, July 30, 2012

Rhubarb Crisp: The First Attempt by a Terrible Baker

Okay, so let me preface this by saying that my terrible history with baking goes back to my days of cooking class in middle school.  Somehow I was able to mess up the recipes, even if they only had 5 ingredients because my chef self decided to mess with the recipe and then completely messed up the result.
My worst memory of baking was my first attempt at brownies in high school.  My dad soaked his in milk for about 10 minutes for taking a bite because he felt so bad that I tried so hard to make them yummy.  He later admitted they were terrible, threw them outside for the birds and said that he hoped they didn't "break their beaks on the brownies" hahaha.
My best memory associated with baking was an experimental bake also in high school.  I took a beer bread mix and instead of using beer I used ginger ale.  I followed the recipe exactly except the beer and the bread was awesome; I was no longer afraid of mixes.

Baking when you're calorie conscience is challenging.  The predictable combination of a large amount of flour combined with a crazy amount of sugar and some butter thrown in is discouraging.  I tried to take what I knew about flavors and function and make something a little bit less terrible for me.

Tonight I got gutsy, I decided to make up something myself and here is the result:
No recipe is getting posted for this because it needs refining, that being said:
Positives
Crust on bottom crisped up even with less butter
Filling was awesome, sweet enough and good texture, despite only having about half the sugar suggested
Overall good texture after the topping
156 calories a piece

Negatives
Topping did not crisp up 
Bottom didn't have much flavor...needs something

I'll probably make this again next week, tighten up the crust a little bit and get rid of the topping all together.  I am overall happy with my attempt because I was honestly afraid it was going to be terrible and in fact, it is very much edible (just not 100% up to my standards)!  Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment